All throughout our lives there have been designated places to make new friends. When we leave college those places disappear. Though recently I met my first friend as an adult at a networking event last year. Tori and I ended up being thepeople there and grew up in neighboring towns. After exchanging email addresses and grabbing dinner a month later, something clicked and we are now really good friends! Since our friendship as grown, I’ve found myself having a variety of conversations about where else young adults can make new friends?
1. Go to networking events
2. Join a co-ed or single sex sports team // This is something I’ve thought about but I’m dying to sign up for Tennis lessons
3. Take a class (something like an art or cooking class will give you a better chance to talk to people than an exercise class) // See #65 on my 101 in 1001 list, I see a pottery class in my future and a home filled with handmade mugs!
4. Join a gym // Though I’m not chatting with people as I’m working out on the machines, I’ve met some pretty nice people in the locker room as I get ready in the morning.
5. Be active in your community // Find a charity or a way to give back, in a way that you care most about. Meeting people when you are doing something you love makes it so easy.
6. Befriend your commuter peeps // If you take the same method of transportation at around the same time each day you are bound to start seeing familiar faces. You don’t need to be overly friendly, just start saying hello and keep up with the ones you like. I actually met a girl on the Green Line a few weeks back, we ended up having a mutual acquaintance. We connected on LinkedIn and ended up having coffee a week later.
7. Make friends in line // Do you ever go get lunch during the climax of the afternoon and end up waiting in extremely long lines? Or pick the worst day to get coffee at Starbucks instead of making it at work? Even though people are irritated there’s always a friendly person in line (it’s usually me), but nevertheless, comment their outfit or say something clever.
I’d love to know, where have you made a new friend?